Stretch marks can a be a sign of being a mother or winning a war against obesity. This can also occur when you have drastically increased weight. It may quite difficult to elude from stretch marks if you are when because some or the way they are bound to make an appearance in your life. Moisturization of the skin is a simple way of preventing stretch marks but not a sure way.
But there are several ways to reduce the appearance of stretch marks, if not completely get rid of it.
There can be several causes for stretch marks other than drastic weight loss or gain, such as:
- during pregnancy
- during puberty
- if you have a family history of stretch marks
- if you have an underlying health condition or a syndrome, such as Marfan syndrome
- after the prolonged or inappropriate use of corticosteroid medication
Moisturization Prevents Stretch Marks:
Stretch marks occur when the level of elasticity increases but there is no or less moisture in the skin to support this elasticity. If the skin is moisturized it will not create any marks when stretched. Hydrated skin can easily rebuild itself by increasing collagen in the skin.Try to incorporate collagen enhancing creams and serums in your skincare routine. Topical application is not only the solution to increased collagen, try to eat Vitamin C rich foods like orange and kiwis. A moisturized skin will stretch more properly with creating any marks.
But then again this will only reduce the appearance of stretch marks not completely avoid them.
Stretch marks often fade with time. If you don’t want to wait, there are treatments that can improve their appearance. However, no treatment can make stretch marks disappear completely.
Time will fade away all marks, including stretch marks. There are medical treatments that can reduce the appearance of the stretch marks and make them less prominent.
Some Cosmetic Ways:
- Application of retinol creams that include Tretinoin restores collagen levels of the skin that are being pulled. It works best on fresh stretch marks which are red or pink. Pregnant women must avoid using these creams as they may cause irritation in the skin and may affect baby’s health.
- Pulsed dye laser therapy encourages the growth of collagen and elastin. It’s best to use this therapy on newer stretch marks. Darker-skinned individuals may experience skin discoloration.
- Microdermabrasion involves polishing the skin with tiny crystals to reveal new skin that’s under the more elastic stretch marks. Microdermabrasion can improve the appearance of older stretch marks.
Medical procedures and prescription medicines aren’t guaranteed to cure stretch marks, and they can be expensive.
Other Natural Ways:
- Oils rich in Vitamin E can be very beneficial in reducing the appearance of stretch marks as they provide the moisturization and raw materials to the skin cells to produce more elastin and collagen in that part of the skin. Jojoba, almond, and coconut oil are best vitamin E oil.
- Drink lots of water, this will help you lose weight with causing any ugly marks by the hydrating skin from within.
- Since you are already eating healthy for the cause of weight loss it should be easy for you to incorporate healthy foods into your diet which will moisturize your skin from the inside. Foods you will want to eat to stop stretch marks from forming while losing weight are raw fruits, nuts,and vegetables.
- While there is no sure shot way to prevent stretch marks from occurring on your body but you can reduce their appearance by eating well, drinking lots of water, using lotions and creams, exercising well and supplementing skin with Vitamin E.
Do let us know if we have missed any step. Do you have any other ways of reducing stretch marks? Let us know in the comment box below.